Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week 5 Famous Last Words

This week, or really yesterday, has been worse than any I could possibly imagine. My grandmother, who has been estranged from our family for over a decade, is in the hospital dying of bone and lung cancer. She can't have chemotherapy, because that's what put her into the hospital to begin with and what has made her health (already a precarious thing) decline so rapidly. They were going to move her home for hospice comfort care, but have actually decided not to move her because she couldn't survive the trip, so it's only a short matter of time before we have to say goodbye for good. Also, she's not very lucid, is sedated and restrained most of the time so that she doesn't pull her tubes out, and is generally uncomfortable and in pain when she is awake (which has only happened once while I was there on Sunday). Then, yesterday my mother called to tell me that night before last she had to take our cat to the vet and have him put down because he had gotten a blood clot in his lungs and was partially paralyzed and having trouble breathing. Then, last night, my other grandmother (who I spend every summer with and is in my picture for my introduction thing) had to take our best horse, our only stud, and the best and friendliest and sweetest stud you will ever meet, to the vet because he had ripped off his horse shoe and that had taken most of his hoof with it so he was bleeding profusely. The vet ended up not being able to do anything and had to put him down. So, it's been a hell of a week and it's only Wednesday. On a good note, I found out this week that I get to go to Africa this summer to study abroad! I've set up a link to the page that describes my trip as well as lets people donate to help fund it on the right side of my blog page. I hope you all have had a better week than me and I hope that my next week goes better!

Image Information: Personal photo of Pepper taken February 2015. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amber, I cannot imagine a more terrible week... my mother went on hospice care this week, but she is at home thank goodness, but still... It is terrible. Life is the most beautiful and terrible thing there is. I hope you will find the strength to get through these days and have better days soon!

    ReplyDelete