Sunday, February 15, 2015

Week 6 Reading Diary A: More from the Ramayana

p. 219-270


In this week's reading A, I read a lot more about Hanuman's leap to Lanka than I learned in the previous reading. For this week, I will most likely write about Hanuman this week but I'm not sure which part of his story I will focus on - when he rests on the mountain who had stollen the other mountain's wings and was hiding from Indra, or when Sinhika tries to stop him from reaching Lanka and he flies into her body and crushes her heart before flying back out of her body through her ear, or when he finally gets to Lanka and and has to fight Lanka personally to get through the gates and Lanka realized he was the fulfillment of a curse. Perhaps I will write about all of them from his perspective with his journey as a whole, or perhaps I will pick one of the three and write about it from someone else's perspective - like focus on the mountain's back story and just briefly connect it to Hanuman at all. We learn a lot more about Hanuman's stay in Lanka in Buck's version of the Ramayana than we learned in Narayan's version. In it we get many more details about his visit with Sita as well as his destruction of Lanka. We also learn more about Hanuman's trip back to Sugriva and Rama.

Image source: Hanuman and Sita in the ashoka grove

No comments:

Post a Comment