Tuesday, April 21, 2015

College Writing Review

Writing



I'm a psychology major and we don't have a lot of writing courses, per se, but we do have A LOT of writing in our different psychology courses. The problem with this was that for my psych classes we had to write in APA style and in all other classes (like all of the gen eds I had to take that required writing, i.e. English classes, History Classes, and some science classes) I had to use MLA style, which I'm really bad at in general and always have to look up how to do things now that I'm in the hang of APA style. I've taken classes that were writing intensive like my Honors English 1 and 2 classes and my Honors History class, all of which required a ton of writing. And now I'm in a science class that requires a lot of writing of lab reports. Plus all of my psych classes required things like research papers or term papers. I don't really think a lot of these classes have helped me grow as a writer because they all wanted different things and nitpicked about different things, so I'm not really sure what's the right way and what's not. But this class has helped me because it's focused solely on my writing skills and not so much on APA vs MLA or on the topic at hand. This is really the most helpful writing class I've had so far and if I had to design a class, it would be just exactly like this one, both in my major and out of it, though within my major it would have pointers about APA style and outside of my major it would have pointers about both styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment