Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 1 Overview



I have never read anything about India including the epics, so I'm really interested in knowing more about the epics, but also quite intimidated by all of the long names that will be nearly impossible in my mind to keep straight. I think the stories will be interesting, but I'm worried the material will be much harder to read because of all of these long and confusing names and I'm a worry-wart so of course I think I will somehow get behind and confused and any number of terrible things; but not to worry, I will do my best to stay caught up and knowledgeable about what is going on! I'm also really interested in the Buddhism stories in the UnTextbook because I love learning about other religions and have never had a chance to study this one. None of the images are familiar to me, but I chose this one because it sort of reminded me of something familiar: the Christian portrayal of Hell; and I am all about gathering around the familiar in such unfamiliar waters.

Image source: Sita in the arms of Agni, the fire god;
illustration by Evelyn Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment