Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 1 Storybook Favorites

One of the books I looked at was Law and Order: SSU, which is actually my best friend’s storybook from last semester. I loved the subject material, as Law and Order is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I loved that the design is so reminiscent of the show’s opening credits. I also think her stories are amazing! I love that this helps tie the stories to a current real-life type thing like Law and Order and I wish I could find a way to make my storybook make someone think of something in their ordinary life too, but I don’t know yet that that will be possible for my particular idea.

The next storybook I looked at was The Karma Times, which I loved on site when I first saw it on the pinterest board because the blue picture on the front caught my eye. It’s a great picture and I love the newsy background. The stories are fascinating and I love the set up of Karma being the one to tell the stories and how he “got back at” all of those who had done wrong.

The third one I looked at caught my eye because of its name: Yama’s Tattoo Parlor, and if I weren’t already mostly decided on how to do my storybook, it would be the winner for how I would proceed because I was thinking like tattoo parlor or coffee shop stories that are told while one is busy doing the tattoo on someone or drinking coffee. But, that’s probably not what I will end up doing, though it’s a fascinating idea: my tattoo artist telling me a story about the ancient indian epics and who got what tattoos and why, etc. in order to distract me from the pain (that’s not what Yama’s Tattoo Parlor is about, but it did give me the inspiration).

Overall I love these three storybooks and would like to somehow incorporate elements from them into my own book. Below is a copy of the picture that so caught my attention from the second storybook I looked at.

Image Information: Taken from The Karma Times Blog

2 comments:

  1. I also really liked the Law and Order storybook! It was eye-catching and really interesting. I enjoyed the real-time aspect that the storybook took and it was a great design to keep the reader intrigued. I like that she tied in a story such as what we are learning now into an everyday life show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I've never watched Law and Order, but I've heard great things, and I like how the author incorporated it into their storybook as well. And you're right about The Karma Times image! It's very eye-catching, and the premise of the storybook sounds fascinating. I also found the tattoo parlor storybook to be interesting, though I didn't get the chance to read it through all the way. I can see how inspiring it is and how storytelling is involved in tattoo parlors or coffee shops and salons.

    ReplyDelete